Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars: Movie Review

Disclaimer: This review contains spoilers of the book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Do not read this unless you have read the book or watched the movie.

Hey guys,

Today I'm going to be talking about The Fault in Our Stars movie. Yeah. I saw this movie at an 11:35 pm showing on Thursday night and it was so emotional.

The Acting:
Shailene Woodley was the perfect Hazel. She was so capable of showing the raw emotion and her expressions were so so so good!! (I never saw Tris or Caleb).
Ansel Elgort. Perfection. He was the best Augustus that we ever could have hoped for. He has the cutest little smirks that he makes and he was so sweet. In the first half he was the cocky, arrogant, sweet guy that he was known to be and then he slowly loses that and becomes sadder and weaker.
Nat Wolff was a great Issac. I wish we could have seen more of Issac but the trophy scene was amazing.
William Dafoe was a great Peter...I hated him so much so it was obviously a good representation.

The Book to Movie Translation:
This was so so so accurate!! The movie starts off with John Green's line..."Late in the winter of my seventeenth year..." and it was so accurate! There were a couple of things off and missing, but the two most obvious to were the video game scene with Issac where he says "I dislike living in a world without Augustus Waters." and the very very end. They say "Okay" at the end (the most emotional word ever) instead of  "I do, Augustus. I do." Except for that, the movie was extremely accurate. There were so many lines from the book in the movie and that made me really happy. This is a book to movie adaptation done right.

My Experience Seeing the Movie:
So what you have to know is I am a huge book crier. I have read TFiOS about twenty-five times and it is in my top three books of all times. I re-read the book before I went to the movie and I was dressed in my 'Okay? Okay' shirt with my infinities necklace. I went in expecting to cry a lot, as I had previously cried reading the book. So I went in with my friends and started watching. I first started crying when Hazel was taken to the ICU. I was laughing whenever Ansel made a joke, and the trophy part was funny and emotional all at once. When they went to Amsterdam I was crying and when they went up to the Anne Frank House I was crying. And when Augustus tells Hazel I pretty much began sobbing and bawled the whole rest of the movie. The pre-funeral scene was so emotional and so perfect. So was the gas station scene. And when Shailene and Nat point out how pretentious Ansel is....oh so beautiful! Anyways... I cried a lot in this movie and was the loudest sobber in the theater. My friend's mom, after the movie, was like, who was crying so loudly? And that would be me.

My Thoughts on the Movie: (aka a really long ramble)
It was really really really really really good!!!!! There were a couple of flaws in the book, like when it might sometimes be a bit unrealistic. But then the movie admitted that was unrealistic...for example, Gus's speech to Monica's mom, and then he says "I can't believe that worked." Also, the end. I needed my "I do, Augustus. I do" line. The letter that she was reading was exact and then it wasn't. But I still loved it.Overall, I loved this movie so so much and I am probably going to see it again.

I hope you guys enjoyed my review...it was really long. I'm sorry if it was a boring rant. I just have a lot of feelings.

Happy reading!
Becki xx

P.S. My COHF review is coming...I really loved the book! I just need to re-read it so I can have a good discussion for you guys. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment