Sunday, June 1, 2014

Reading in School Tag

Hey everyone!

Today I was watching a video on Ariel Bisset's channel that she did a while ago about Reading in School. I found this subject really interesting, so I decided to complete the tag that she wrote.

Elementary:
1) What techniques do you think teachers should use to engage young readers?
I think that teachers need to encourage kids to read! Tell them why reading is so enjoyable, have discussions and clubs about reading, and overall make reading fun.

2) Do you think that it's the schools' job to instill a love of reading in children?
Yes, absolutely. The school and the parents' job.

3) What was your favorite elementary school read?
For what I read that was actually in class, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. For what I read outside of class, Harry Potter.


High School:
1) Do you think an incorporation of YA books should be made? If so, which YA books would you add?
I definitely think that YA books should be added to high school curriculum. I don't think that we should emit classics completely, because they are still important, but one YA book a year wouldn't harm anyone. I would add a John Green book (either TFIOS or Looking for Alaska) or The Book Thief by Markus Zusack. And my English teacher recently told me that The Book Thief is being added to the tenth grade curriculum, which is really exciting.

2) Do you think it's important to read books from a wide variety of nationalities?
Yes, I do. I only read books in general from US and the UK and I really want to change that. I think part of the problem is in school that is what they teach you are the 'right' books to read.

3) What was your least favorite book in high school?
My least favorite book was The Pearl by John Steinbeck. It really was a quite simplistic story and it didn't catch my attention at all. (Note: I am still in high school, so this question is only what I have read so far)


Beyond:
1) Do you think there should be an emphasis on creative writing?
Absolutely! I can write pretty good essays, but every time I try to write creatively, I find myself referring back to all the essays I have written. My English teacher this year told us specifically that the standards didn't give enough time to creative writing and that she wished that we could write more, but that there wasn't enough time. I think that maybe the teachers want to do more creative writing, but they can't because they have to follow the standards.

2) How do you feel that the reading you did in school has affected the reading you do now?
I feel like the reading that I did in school has almost made me want to read more, because I want to find books that I enjoy more than what I read at school. I think that for people who don't enjoy reading as much as me, however, this discourages them from reading because they think it is 'boring'.

3) If you had to choose one book that you've read in the past year, outside of school, that had to be taught in high schools, which would you choose?
I would choose probably The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. The reason is that this book has encouraged so many people to read and has made so many people who say that they 'hate reading' read. If this book can encourage people who dislike reading to read, then I say that it is an excellent choice for high schools to read. Plus, as I have re-read it like 15 times (literally) there are some great points that teachers could use for annotating/essays.


Thank you guys for reading that whole thing, if you did :) If you want to do this tag, go ahead and leave me a link below because I find this a really interesting topic!

Happy reading!
Becki xx


P.S. Come back within this week for my City of Heavenly Fire review (I am currently re-reading the series and am on the fourth book, then I will read it!) and my The Fault in Our Stars movie review (going to the premiere!)

No comments:

Post a Comment