Saturday, March 29, 2014

"The Diviners" Review

Hey friends--

This week I just finished the book The Diviners by Libba Bray. I haven't read all the books on my TBR because I went to the library, but I finished this and I have to say, it was spectacular. For those of you who haven't read the book, this will be a spoiler free review!

The book is set in the midst of the 1920's, where bobs are the latest fashion, in New York City. Teenage Evie is sent to New York to live with her bachelor uncle as punishment for her mistake in her hometown of Ohio. However, Evie has a dark secret--she has a supernatural power which is what got her in trouble at home in the first place. As her uncle is called to the scene of a murder, branded with a symbol, due to his knowledge of rituals, Evie may have the chance to use her power to help solve the mystery of this serial killer.

This book sparked my interest immediately from the start, with its mix of adventure, fantasy, history, and romance blended to perfection. This is the first Libba Bray book that I have read, and it was a fantastic read. The main character Evie is spunky and upbeat, but also has some very visible flaws which sometimes makes you dislike her. Sometimes during this book, I would stop and be like "Really Evie? Why would you do that?" That was my only main issue with this book. My favorite character was the actress that Evie meets, Theta, due to her bravery and the challenges that she overcame. Another cool thing about this book is the change of perspective. Usually it follows Evie from third person, but occasionally it switches to other people with secrets in the city, people who all have some connection to the murder, Evie, or supernatural powers.

Overall I honestly really enjoyed this book. It has a fantastic plot line that continues throughout the story and keeps the reader engaged. I would suggest it to anyone who likes historical fiction, mystery, or romance. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Becki xx

No comments:

Post a Comment