Sunday, March 23, 2014

Divergent Movie Review (Spoilers)

WARNING: THIS REVIEW INCLUDES SPOILERS

Okay so I saw this movie last night in IMAX and it was simply amazing! I'm going to review this in a kind of organized fashion:

Characters:
Shailene Woodley as Tris
Honestly I thought that she was an amazing Tris. She really showed both her vulnerability and her strength which was great, and her character development was good. However, sometimes she just didn't hit me at the right point, like as an Abnegation when she's at dinner after the test. Maybe it was her dad, maybe not, maybe it was how that part didn't follow the book, but in very rare parts (only like twice) I felt like Tris wasn't being true to her character.

Theo James as Four/Tobias
Perfection in a guy right here. Theo James was the perfect Four and the character was spot-on to the book. I fell in love with him all over again when I watched this. The shirtless scene made me so happy :)

Kate Winslet as Jeanine
Kate did a spectacular job. I thought that her character fit the movie so well and she lived up to my expectations. Sometimes she was a bit different from the book but honestly it's a movie and they couldn't include everything.

Ansel Elgort as Caleb
I love Ansel. He's so beautiful and he and Shailene did not make me think of TFIOS at all... these are signs of good actors guys, when they can play a couple and siblings. Back to Divergent though, like Ansel was a very believable Caleb and the only part I was sad about was that they didn't give him glasses. But he does look so cute in blue.

Miles Teller as Peter
Great actor, of course. Very believable and he made me laugh.

(I also loved Christina and Will :D)


Things that I Missed:
Paintballs
In the capture the flag scene, they had those weird gun-like guns instead of paintball guns which lacked that element of fun that the Dauntless portray. I still loved this scene but I missed the humor when in the train they were testing the guns out.

Four controlling the computer
There was the whole Jeanine thing at the end where they inserted the tracker in her (proving why she hated Divergent, in my opinion: because she wasn't Divergent) and made her shut down the system. I liked when Four was still convinced by Tris to come out of the serum, but I missed all the excitement of that, and the excitement of her convincing him by calling him Tobias.

Tris calling Four Tobias
enough said

Meeting Will's Sister
I feel like this is going to create an issue in Insurgent...

Uriah
Again, obvious... though his name was on the scoreboard so I have hope.

Caleb's glasses
Personal thing...I just really wanted to see Ansel Elgort in glasses 

Christina and Will's relationship
This is such an important factor in Insurgent, plus they are adorable. It was there but not obvious


Scenes that I Loved:
When Four Beats Up Al, Peter, and Drew
Such an intense scene but lovely, well thought out, and made me love seeing Theo's strength of his character.

The Ferris Wheel
So close to the book! I loved Theo's line..."Everyone's afraid of something" was amazing. Plus both Shailene and Theo did such an excellent job in this scene

Tris holding the flag
This part is not actually like the book, because there Christina gets it, but still very, very happy and exciting scene for her.

Taking down Eric in the Capture the Flag
They were so thrilling in this part and it made me so happy.

Tris and Four's Fear Landscapes
Perfect. I felt like I was there. The whole 'think like a Dauntless' thing was really well thought out and interesting to in my opinion, even though it wasn't in the book, I really liked it. Plus Tris's fear of her and Four's relationship was spot-on. 

Tris and Four's Kiss
I'm a sucker for romance and this was just beautiful, and the actors were very real about it.

Tris's First Hamburger
From the book(!) and an entertaining scene

Will, her mom, and her dad
I bawled my eyes out. I was with some friends, my sister, and my mom and my mom always makes fun of me for crying in movies. But the girls behind us were sobbing too so it made me feel much better about myself. I just wanted to cry harder and harder! But so realistic


Overall, this movie was amazing! My favorite part was probably either capture the flag, when Four and Tris hold hands during the simulation, seeing Caleb in the Erudite compound, or the kiss. I couldn't decide. The producers did a fabulous job, however and I hope I've inspired you to watch the movie! Let me know your thoughts below.

Rebecca xx

No comments:

Post a Comment